I got my Android phone last year September 2011 and it’s been a massive upgrade from a BlackBerry. I’ve been installing apps like mad and have been trying out all features of the the phone. There are quite a lot of useless apps on the Android market but I thought that I would point out which ones are worth downloading.
I would say that WhatsApp Messenger is the most used App on my phone right now. I use it everyday and mainly because it uses almost no data which means you spend less money on communication. I’m also connected to the WiFi at work so I don’t spend any money. This is my NO.1 App.
Yes I know Instagram was first made for Apple iPhone and all the iPhone users were very upset when the creators made the app available for Android users as well. The fact is that Android is just much better than the software on iPhone and much more user friendly. Sorry, I went off subject there.
Instagram is an awesome photo sharing app and the main feature is the effects you can put on photos and then share it directly to your Facebook and Twitter accounts. It can really make anyone look good as a photographer. So download it and try it out.
This is also one of my favorites. Having your emails everywhere you go is great and it’s also not stored on your phone. You can view other labels and also if you have other POP accounts added to Gmail you can receive those emails and also send from your phone using your connected POP email accounts.
4. Google Maps and Navigation
Never use a regular GPS again. All you need is your phone. Google Maps now also has live traffic that’s visible on the map. So you don’t need to buy a Tom Tom or Garmin. Just buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 and sell your old GPS on Gumtree. There’s too many features to even start mentioning it here so rather download the app and try it for yourself.
5. Apollo Music Player
I don’t have the original ICS on my phone. I installed CyanogenMod on my Samsung Galaxy S2 and Apollo Music Player came with it. So I opened my phone in my browser using Airdroid and downloaded the APK file for you guys. So just click the link above and then you can download it from there. *Note that your phone needs to be rooter before you can install this.
6. Wordpress for Android
Great plugin for managing your WordPress blog using your Android phone. Download it and give it a try. It’s free!
7. FNB Banking App
I have only had awesome times with this App. You can manage your internet banking, make payments, transfers, find FNB branches and much more. You can also make calls through the app and pay less for calls. Give it a try. You just need to install it and then link it to your online FNB account. No setup required. It just works.
8. Tiny Flashlight + LED
This is also great for when Eskom goes down and you need to grab your slippers to go and light candles or when you’re having a braai and you need a quick light to check your lamb chops. This app turns your Samsung Galaxy into a bright flashlight.
9. Google Sky Map
If you’re into astronomy you will definitely like this one. I went the the WITS Planetarium a month ago and they had a telescope outside and this app is very accurate. There are options to remove star signs, planets and other things. Awesome app.
10. Draw Free for Android
I’ve been playing this game for about a month on my phone. It had a couple of bugs in the beginning where it froze at the startup screen but it’s been updated and haven’t had any problems yet. Check it out. You can start new games with your Facebook friends where you draw pictures to each other and then you need to guess what it is. It’s basically like Pictionary.
11. Chrome Browser
Chrome recently released their browser for Android. It was about time because I got sick of using that crap Samsung browser that came out with Ice Cream Sandwhich. You know that Samsung changes the crap out of Ice Cream Sandwhich to fit “their” requirements. Do yourself a favor and root your phone and put the Cyanogenmod on your phone. I’ll write instructions on how to do that in the next article.
You won’t go wrong with this app. It’s like Kies but better. You can do all sorts of things with this app like:
*SMS - Receive, send, forward or delete SMS messages.
We all know what IMDB is. This is a nifty app to quickly check any info about any actor, show, series or movie. So if you’re at a braai, and can’t remember who played in Fight Club or whatever. Just take out your phone. That was just a lame example.
14. Titanium Backup
Titanium Backup is the most powerful backup tool on Android, and then some.
You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app’s data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.
15. Unified remote
Easily the most feature-filled Android-PC remote. Turns your Android device into a WiFi or Bluetooth universal remote control for your Windows PC. Control your favorite programs, mouse, and keyboard.
16. Wifi Timer
Wifi Timer. Start, Stop Wifi on your device automatically. Wifi Scheduler.
Leave a comment
The Latest Stuff
- Some outtakes from Gordon Ramsey in Hell’s Kitchen
- Photography 101: Choosing the Right Camera That Suits You
- BMW GS1200 Bike stolen on 22 April 2013 in Edenvale with registration WTW 648 GP. Please comment if you know anything.
- Win a one-way ticket to Mars never to come back, apply now!
- Metallica Johannesburg – All you need to know to make sure you get into the stadium as quick and easy as possible – Big Concerts
- Jozi Craft Beer Festival 4 May Marks Park Emmerentia
- Win a holiday to Thailand for two! PartyofaLifetime
- CANSA’s 10th Shavathon – shave it, spray it, stencil it or gel it!
- MotoMia Scooter review: The Java 170cc scooter from MotoMia Rosebank
- Russell Brand interviews two members of the Westboro Baptist Church
- MASSIVE HAIL STORM EXPECTED 21 Nov 2012 in the afternoon in the East Rand!
- Buy your Metallica tickets online now. Computicket and Eventshopper Johannesburg and Cape Town
- The Anne Hirsch Show : S01 E15 Zolani Mahola (Freshlyground)
- The Making Of: DIE ANTWOORD – FATTY BOOM
- The Athlete Machine – Red Bull Kluge
- Jack Parrow on The Anne Hirsch Show S01 E13
- Unlock the 007 in you. You have 70 seconds!
- St Francis Bay SOS – fire burning down over 100 houses 11 Nov 2012
- World War Z – New Movie Trailer
- Fake Red Light District tour with happy ending [LifeHunters]
- Arno Carstens on the Anne Hirsch Show S01 E13
- Chuck Norris stops a chainsaw bare handed. Ha ha classic Chuck Norris
- The 1Time liquidation situation and how to get your money back for booked flight tickets with credit card refund
- A Good Day to Die Hard Official Trailer 2013 – Bruce Willis brand new Die Hard Movie
- Please donate to my Movember page. It’s for a good cause.
- New episode on The Anne Hirsch show. Colin Moss (Halloween Edition) S01 E12
- Some tips on how to grow a full and thick moustache for Movember with Nick Offerman
- The Great Zombie Walk 2012 – Zombies invade Cape Town
- Opa Sandy Style – Two guys doing Gangnam style on the weather channel reporting hurricane Sandy
- The Adventures of Francdore is on 12 000 visits per month. Let’s try and make it more. Thank you!
- Ozzy Osbourne – Who the fuck is Justin Bieber. Interview by Mark Hoppus
- How the gentlemen died out
- A tiny problem
- Emo Adams (Actor/Musician) on The Anne Hirsch Show : S01 E11
- The new official Iron Man 3 movie trailer
- Biggest hale storm I’ve ever seen in Edenvale, Boksburg, Benoni and Midrand
- The Anne Hirsch Show : S01 E10 Francois van Coke (Fokofpolisiekar)
- I think you’re a cunt
- Traditional ghosts and sexy ghosts
- A female lion befriends a baby springbok